What the F*ck is Going On???


It's a rather generic title, I'll be honest. But it's a very apt one for the blog. 

In the last year or so, the world has been turned on it's head; politics being at the centre of it all.

Now, I'm not going to say that I am the most politically minded person, so don't go reading this expecting a sound politically satirical piece, tearing into all parties, views and policies, whilst also beautifully putting across my political points. Nah. As the great man Skepta once said - that's not me.

Instead, I'm just going to continually ask what the f*ck is going on??

Now, where to start? Politically, there has been a stupid amount of change in the last 18 months or so. We're not used to it, which is one reason why everyone is in so much shock. I can't remember a time when Brexit or American politics didn't dominate the news. And these are predominantly down to a drive in right-wing politics. Where have these people been hiding for the last 30 years??

The problem I have with main right-wing or conservative views is that they appear on the surface very self-centered. The kind of "well, as long as I'm okay, I don't care what happens" attitude, which I think can tear communities apart and create the conflict, similar to what we are witnessing today. 

I can't understand how or why people can criticize someone who is simply wanting to create a world and society where everyone can benefit and thrive. I will never blast someone for promoting a better life for all. And yet, these days, we have people wanting 'politicians' in power that are happy to only put laws and amendments forward that benefit them and their friends.

No matter what you really think about Obamacare, it's heart was in the right place. Healthcare for all, similar to Britain's NHS. Healthcare shouldn't be a privilege, nor should it be treated like a business. It blows my mind that people have to pay for simple treatments, and sometimes for life-saving surgeries. 

"Yep, we can save you. Get your heart pumping again. You'll be good as new. Now, would you like to pay by card or cash?" F*ck off!

And so what if a bit of extra money comes out of my pay cheque every month. If I believe it is going to help people less fortunate than myself, help them live a regular life and possibly pay for medical treatments, then I think it's worth me not getting new table tops for.

This right wing politics and way of thinking has lead to discriminating behavior against minorities, with no reason what-so-ever. Transgender people not allowed in the army for medical reasons? Give me a break. If they want to fight for your country, go for it! I sure as hell wouldn't want to, so full respect to anyone who is willing to put themselves through that ordeal. Black. White. Man. Woman. Transitioning. 

Yet there is a white man, and men, who believe that they're is in a position to make decisions about people they don't even know anything about. Stopping women from deciding to do what they want with their own body is one that springs to mind. And yet, people continue to back this way of thinking, like they're scared of being wrong.

One thing I have learnt when I have been faced with someone with extreme right wing views is to simply use logic. Logic seems to prevail 98% of the time (official survey I have completed). No matter their stubbornness, or attempts to justify anything with the most loosely put together argument, logic always seems to work.

You want an example? Here you go.

"I mean, America is nearly 70% white, so it is completely justifiable that white actors get the majority of roles and nominations at award shows."

"Fine, but what about when they take roles that are clearly not for them? Matt Damon playing an Asian in The Great Wall? Keanu Reeves playing a samurai? Scarlet Johansson playing an Anime character? Surely that's clear favoritism towards white actors over their minority colleagues?"

"Erm.. Erm..."

Sorted. 

The only time in the last year I've seen people come together as one, no matter where they are from, has come after tragedies. Manchester being the one that highlighted this the best.

It was, and still is, an absolute heart-breaker of an event. I don't think I fully got over it for a while. But it showed what British people can do when they are united together. Yes, there were assholes who decided that this heightened there radical-racist views, thinking they can decide who can live where. But for the majority of people, it pulled us closer together as a society. 

And for anyone who is reading this from around the world, the U.K. has not been hugely affected by these tragedies. We're upset. We're angry. But it is not going to change what we do, or how we act.

I think I am just waiting for things to return to some sort of normality. A time where I can see a law or policy put forward that makes me think "that is fantastic, it's about time", rather than "WHAT THE F*CK! WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?" 

A. Weavers

You can read my other blogs at FeedTheSport or ScriptEye.

Comments

Popular Posts